Sexual Assault Statistics
- The United States has the highest rape rate among countries, which report such statistics. It is 4 times higher than that of Germany, 13 times higher than that of England and 20 times higher than that of Japan
- An estimated 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse exist in America today.
- Every 2 minutes, somewhere in America, someone is sexually assaulted.
- 1 in 6 American women are victims of sexual assault, and 1 in 33 men. (reported)
- In 2004-2005, there was an annual average of 200,780 victims of rape, attempted rape or sexual assault.
- 1 in 4 girls are sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the internet.
- Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children ages 17 and under.
- Only 16% of rapes and sexual assaults are reported to the police
The Impact of Sexual Trauma
- There are an estimated 32,000 rape related pregnancies in the United States annually.
- 80% of rape victims will suffer from chronic physical or psychological conditions over time.
- Rape survivors are also 13 times more likely to attempt suicide than victims of other crimes.
- 70-80% of sexual abuse survivors report excessive drug and alcohol use.
- More than 75% of teenage prostitutes have been sexually abused.
- Among male survivors, more than 70% seek psychological treatment for issues such as substance abuse, suicidal thoughts and attempted suicide. Males who have been sexually abused are more likely to violently victimize others.
- An average serial child molester may have as many as 400 victims in his lifetime.
http://www.rainn.org http://sa.rochester.edu/masa/stats.php; http://www.darkness2light.orgp http://www.darkness2light.org/KnowAbout/statistics_2.asp